In less than an hour, Apple is holding a conference call with the press to announce plans for its vast stockpile of cash, currently approaching $100 billion. What could they do with all of that money?
The most likely (and boring) suggestion is that they’ll start paying dividends to their shareholders. Bolder predictions include buying one of the cellular carriers (can you imagine Apple owning AT&T?) or possibly even Google. (OK, I don’t think I’ve actually seen that one, but I think they could do it.) Or, if they were Dr. Evil, they could hold the entire world ransom.
But let’s have a little fun, shall we? Here are some other things they could buy with $100 billion:
- A large supreme pizza for every person on earth
- A new stadium or arena for every team in the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL
- The entire GDP of Morocco
- 500,000,000 iPod touches (“iPods touch”?)
- Over 41,000 of the most expensive car on earth
- 6,200,000 of the most popular car
Or, they could just give every person in America $320.93. Or pay off 0.64% of the national debt.